Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Subway

One of my favorite things about living in NYC is the regular access to awesome public transportation.  The trains are, for the most part, reliable and quick.  The trains are also one of the most cost efficient ways to get around the city.
I live off of an express train line so my commute to work is about 20 minutes.  It is awesome!  I read the entire way to and from work and I don't worry about the cost of gas or insurance or worry about getting in an accident or getting a ticket.
The subways are well marked and easy to find.  I live just a few blocks from the subway entrance so it is a short walk to the train in the morning and on my way home there are dozens of stores on the street on my way home so picking up dog food or toilet paper or other necessities is super easy.
The train platforms tend to be open so you can see the trains going in both directions.  Sometimes it gets kind of loud but that is kind of expected since you are underground.  On every platform there is at least one map of the train lines so that you can find your way around.

The trains, buses, and the Metro North are all run by the MTA.  While I don't always like every decision they make I must say that they do a pretty dang good job of keeping the trains going.  The trains aren't perfect but they work perfectly for me!  I am so appreciative of having access to safe, reliable public transportation.  Big thanks to the city of New York for making it so easy to get around!

No comments:

Post a Comment