Friday, March 11, 2011

Public House New York

On Wednesday we went to a restaurant called Public House New York.  The restaurant is beautiful (though it is hard to tell by my picture as I didn't use the flash so I wouldn't upset other diners) and they have a really amazing menu.  Let me tell you all about our dining experience!

We arrived after work on purpose because they have a dress code requiring shirts with collars for men and business attire for women so we wanted to be dressed appropriately.  Once we were inside the decor was gorgeous but it was marred by the excessive number of giant televisions all over the place.  It turns out it was the largest, most expensive sports bar in the whole world so that explained the noise and the televisions.  At first we were a little bothered by the intrusive environment but once we saw the menu we figured it had to be worth it.  Everything looked fabulous!  We ordered 2 appetizers, the philly cheese steak egg rolls and a side of jalepeno bacon macaroni and cheese and they were delicious.  I couldn't imagine a tastier appetizer!  The macaroni and cheese was so good it almost seemed to come from some kind of Faustian deal with the devil where the inventor traded their soul for the ability to create the world's greatest side dish.

Then we ordered our entrees, a steak with broccoli and red potatoes for me and short ribs and potatoes with onions for my husband.  The entrees were disappointing at best.  My potatoes seemed as though they hadn't been cooked at all and the sauce on the ribs was not great according to my husband.  We ended up wishing we had ordered one of their sandwiches instead.  All of those looked amazing too...they had a pulled pork sandwich that looked divine and they had a crab cake B.O.L.T. (bacon, onion, lettuce and tomato) sandwich that seemed as though it had been created especially for my husband so we ended up thinking longingly of the sandwiches while eating mediocre entrees.  We boxed up most of the food to go and decided to try their desserts, primarily because I wanted to be able to write about them here but also because we are sugar addicts.

Their cookie dough smash was really, really tasty.  The hot chocolate chip cookie covered with vanilla ice cream was delicious, though I will say I would expect nothing less from chocolate chip cookies anywhere.  So overall on a scale from 1-10 the appetizers were a 10, the dessert was a 9, and the entrees were a 4.  The restaurant as a whole gets a 6 from me, though I will admit that if I had ordered a sandwich instead of a steak I probably would have given it an 8.  I have to say that if you go to the restaurant give the appetizers a try and save your big meal for another restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment