Friday, February 4, 2011

Why I Love New York - Reason #132

In NYC you see a ton of things you can't see anywhere else.  A naked cowboy playing the guitar, alternative theater, and a store devoted solely to Pop-Tarts are all reasons that I adore living in this city and just one of the many things I love about NYC is this guy:




Today is February 4th.  It is icy and cold outside.  In fact, there are huge mounds of snow covered in ice where the plows and the shop owners have shoveled it into piles so it can melt without being too much of a bother over the next several weeks all over the sidewalks and the roads.  Yet this man is wandering around Manhattan with no shoes on as though the city were actually a soft spring meadow.

And it isn't as though this is the only time I've ever seen him.  I actually see him every single day catching the train in the Financial District with all the people in suits and ties like he considers himself an Executive Hobo or something like that.  He really isn't even a hobo actually.  He is always clean and appropriately dressed (except for the shoes, of course) and very polite to everyone on the train.  He even has one of the world's most awesome hats to keep his head warm in the winter!

He has this massively large fuzzy hat.  It is one of those Russian hats that is super fuzzy with a big badge-type thing on the front.  It is so Russian that every time I see him I want to yell, "In Soviet Russia hat wears you!" but I know that would be very rude so I just think it very quietly in my head.  He gets +3 cool points for the hat.  He loses a point for the lack of shoes though.  Or should the lack of shoes earn him an extra point?  I haven't decided for sure yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment