Thursday, February 17, 2011

Why I Love New York - Reason #12

There are lots of things to love about this city, one of my favorites being that I am constantly surrounded by history.  NYC is positively teeming with enough historical sights to give a nerd a mental hard-on.  There is something historical for everyone, from Stonewall to the Margaret Sanger Clinic.  You can pray at St. Paul's Chapel where George Washington attended services or visit Central Synagogue, the oldest synagogue in NYC if that is more your style. 

One of my favorite sites is the grave of Alexander Hamilton.  I work in the area and I absolutely love that I get to pass by his gravestone every day.
For those of you who are having trouble placing the name you might want to pull out your wallet and check out your $10 bill.  That suave looking gentleman is Alexander Hamilton, the first U.S. Secretary of the Treasury.  He did a lot of amazing things for the country and died in a duel against his arch-nemesis Aaron Burr and I absolutely adore that I get to walk by his final resting place every single day on my way to and from work.  I half want to stand there and shake my fist at his grave, screaming, "What a foolish way for such a smart man to die!  Next time just flip him the bird!  Jeebus, have you no sense?" but I don't.  That would be nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment