Sunday, September 18, 2011

It's Fall!

The leaves are still green and attached to the trees.  Shoe stores still have sandals and flip-flops in the windows.  Multiple flavors of lemonade are still for sale all across the city.  Technically the seasons haven't switched over yet but it is 64 degrees outside and breezy which means that as far as I'm concerned it's fall, by Jove!

I love fall in NYC.  Winter is really my favorite season but fall comes in at a close second place.  Central Park is ablaze in red, orange, and yellow leaves and vendors start selling apple cider and hot cocoa.  All the mosquitoes and other damned horrible bugs start dying off or migrating far, far away from here.  The hot nut carts smell amazing on a cool, crisp day.  I get to drag my giant scarves and hats out of the closet to keep me warm as winter approaches.  The grocery store becomes a magical land of turkey and ingredients for pie.  Dogs get dressed up in adorable sweaters to protect them from the chilly weather.  This is a truly wondrous time of year!

I truly dislike summer pretty much anywhere in the country because no matter where you are (except perhaps in the Rockies or the Tetons or something) it is too hot, too humid and full of bugs.  Nasty, biting, disease-riddled bugs that harass the crap out of me.  The evil day star is around blinding people and burning them and causing all sorts of melanoma.  It really is just the worst of the seasons, but I suppose the horrors of summer make me all the more appreciative when fall begins to roll around every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment